Europe with One Lens

Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,909
Like?
Re: Europe with One Lens
In reply to MrJamela, May 4, 2013

MrJamela wrote:

I'm going to Europe soon and I'm toying with the idea of bringing my NEX 6 and only one lens -- the Zeiss 24mm 1.8.

I also have the 50mm 1.8 and the kit lens available to me.

I'm expecting to be walking around a lot, and every extra ounce seems like it will add up quickly. And I love the pics I get with this lens. I feel like if I have both lenses I will constantly be thinking about what to use rather than just chilling out and taking pics.

Is this a terrible idea? Do I need that extra bit of range for museums, etc.? Should I be looking at options to go wider or um, zoomier?

I don't think it's a terrible idea since you really can't go wrong with the 24 f1.8 as long as you are satisfied with the focal length.  But IMO extra weight is not a great reason to go with one lens.   There are quite a few lens choices that weigh next to nothing - PZ 16-50, 35 f1.8, 16 f2.8, etc and even the 50 f1.8, 10-18 f4 and 18-55 kit lens.   You can also leave a lens behind in your hotel depending on your plans.

Personally, If I had to make the trip with one lens I would probably buy the Sony RX100 or the Fuji X-E1 with the 18-55 f2.8-4.  Otherwise, I would take all three of the lenses you own and decide when/if I wanted to carry the others on a day by day/activity by activity basis.  You really aren't risking much by taking the 18-55 and 50 f1.8 even if they stay in the hotel room most of the time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow