Like?
Re: I don't get street photography. Please explain
In reply to Lee Jay, May 4, 2013

ljfinger wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

Dan Marchant wrote:

cmc1 wrote:

As per the title. I don't get it. I love photographs that mean something to me, that shock me, make me want to keep looking and going back to it. I don't understand why you would cram up your hard drive with photos of an empty coke can on the floor or some tramp sitting in his own excrement? Genuine question, what am I not seeing?

Its about our environment (as in where we live) and the people in it. Some people don't care about those things so Street Photography wont appeal.

I care about those things deeply, and street photography doesn't appeal.  That's because the environment I live in, and the people that occupy it, aren't represented by the streets in my city.

Maybe it isn't about you.

?????

What are you talking about?

Street photography here would be about car bumpers.  Is that interesting?  There aren't many people on the street.  There aren't any street vendors, and store-fronts generally have hundreds of feet of set-back.  Some streets don't even have sidewalks as no one walks anywhere.

Here's a typical street in my area.  How many people do you see?

I'm with you.

Generally speaking, the term 'Street photography' represent a collection of dull, uninteresting  with no story snap shots that any 10 years old will do.

In most cases it represents lack of talent and / or creativity.

I would compare it to throwing a bucket of paint on a canvas and calling it a painting,

Most are nothing but rubbish.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow