Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bill Heiser
Regular MemberPosts: 369
Like?
Calibrating multiple Mac displays - Thunderbolt Display and 2013 RMBP
11 months ago

Hi - I'm hoping to get some feedback on how to best solve a monitor calibration issue I'm seeing.

I'm calibrating the following:

Apple Thunderbolt Display - was new in early 2012

Early 2013 (10,1) 15" Retina MacBook Pro, Mountain Lion 10.8.3

I'm using a X-Rite i1Display 2 (from ~2008) and ColorEyes Display Pro calibration software v1.6 (current version).

In the software I select the "LCD Brightness./Gains" monitor option because it won't let me select the "Apple Cinema Display/iMac/Laptop" option (it says "monitor initialization failed).  I'm using the "recommended" settings as follows:

White Point: D65

Gamma: L*

The end result is that the two displays look very different.  The Thunderbolt Display, to my eyes, looks very white, with a coolish cast.  The RMBP display, in contrast, looks very warm, and to my eyes almost has a reddish cast.  I understand that no two monitors will look identical, but these look "more different" than I expected.  Maybe my expectations are unrealistic?  But, if so, which one is "right"?

Interestingly, prints (on Epson Ultra Premium Photo Luster, using Epson 3800 Pro from ~2008) look good to me, but even though the edits were done on the Thunderbolt Display, the prints come closer to matching the RMBP display (in that they look more "warm" than the Thunderbolt Display).

So I'm probably doing something wrong with the settings.  Any thoughts on this?

Would I get more consistent results if I upgrade to an i1Display Pro?  I'm a little reluctant to buy that model now since it's been out for several years (maybe by now it's due for an upgrade itself?).

Thanks in advance and thanks for bearing with yet another thread on monitor calibration :).

Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow