The edit of an accidental over exposure, & the surprising recovery of much detail

Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tom60634
Senior MemberPosts: 1,979Gear list
Like?
The edit of an accidental over exposure, & the surprising recovery of much detail
May 4, 2013

I accidentally snapped this while setting up a composition. I thought that I had immediately deleted the file, but as I was doing some computer housekeeping today I noticed that I hadn't.

It was early in the morning so I thought I'd attempt an edit.

Please view at 100% for full effect

The first thing I did was to open the file in adobe camera raw. I changed the file size to 3.1MP and the color space to Adobe RGB. I did this because I had no intention of printing or even keeping this file. The reduction in size helped cure some of the most obvious noise. I turned down exposure 1.50, turned down brightness 100%, adjusted the shadows, white and black points turned off Noise Reduction and sharpening in camera raw.

I then opened the file in photoshop where I utilized NIK's noise reduction and raw sharpening, this got the file into reasonable shape.

DxO's ViewPoint was then used to correct some of the geometric distortions.

I adjusted the tonality to represent the darker shadowy street level while keeping some of the specular highlights.

I was surprised at how much detail that I was quickly able to recover.

Please view at 100% for full effect

tom60634's gear list:tom60634's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow