The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,441
Like?
Re: The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....
In reply to diolus, May 4, 2013

I wouldn't say it was only about resolution. Foveon fans can talk about that at the moment because the Merrills are good at that at the moment.  But before the Merrills, Foveon lagged in resolution but there was still plenty to discuss.

One thing ihardly ever discussed (except by me!) is digital artefacts. There is no doubt that Bayer sensors suffer from digital artefacts. The demosaic algorithms all introduce artefacts of one type or another on some subject matter.  This is regarded as a bad thing by experts and limits effective print sizes.  Foveon has none of this. This is a great thing about the technology. It is one thing it unambiguously does better than Bayer.

The trouble is, Sigma have decided that freedom from tiny digital artefacts is not going to sell many cameras but increased acutance/microcontrast and sharpness is, so they dropped the AA filter.We see a trend in this amongst Bayer camera manufacturers too.

To my mind, this is putting the glamorous and superficial (biting sharpness) above a pure, accurate image.  I think this is a mistake but the great unwashed seem to agree, and just like in the dying days of film when Kodak and Fuji found it easier to make big sales by pandering to the cheap thrill of super saturated films, we see more and more demand for sharpness as the only meaningful criterion.

It's funny because one of the things you get with large format film is effortless detail coupled with great tonal smoothness and it's all done without artificial enhancement of "sharpness".

I think it's a debate worth having but I feel (on these forums at least), it is one I'll have only with myself

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow