TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,051Gear list
Like?
Re: back button focus accuracy...
In reply to Schwany, May 4, 2013

Schwany wrote:

mike clemens wrote:

Schwany wrote:

I can't see how on earth using the back button is going to improve focus either. It does exactly the same thing as using the shutter button for focus. I'd rather use my thumb to help hold the camera up than be pressing on that little button. My action photography hit rate improved once I stopped using the back button for focus. I had a tendency to let pressure off of it during a pan burst and would end up with OOF frames at the end. Plus for me it really is sort of awkward even after doing it for a few years.

I dont think it improves focus but I definitely need focus and shutter totally separate when in AI SERVO mode.

I was responding to the comment that people have said it improves focus. People say just about anything. There's no correct way IMO, so no disagreement from me.

For years I have ran with single center focus point, I would focus on the object of interest until it locks focus, then keeping the button half pressed, reframe for composition and take the picture. This behavior is WELL SET into my brain.

Enter AI Servo at the moment I became interested in moving birds. Now I focus on the bird, attempt to reframe and AI SERVO immediately defocuses the lens. You must have the two functions separate for birds. It's OK when they are on the ground you could run with single shot but what if you need to be ready for them to fly too.

I don't know about must have them separated. But if it works for you, that's what is important. I don't use back button focus anymore. I can move the AF point all over the place and still have fast accurate focus on a 1D series camera unless I'm at f/8 with an extender, so re-framing is rare. The 6D may have some limitations in that regard. So it really depends on the camera, and one's personal preferences. I never re-frame on flying birds. I consider myself lucky if they are in the frame at all. he he

I don't see any other way it could be done except for two buttons, so pretty much it has to be a back button, right?

Personal preference.

focus control.  The camera focuses the same way whether you use the back button or the shutter button to achieve focus.

Many here are confusing focus accuracy with focus control. Taking autofocus off the shutter button and assigning it to the back button gives you more focus control in some situations.

The advantage of doing this is you can then leave the camera in AI-Servo and simply hold the back button to track moving subjects, then press the shutter botton to release the shutter.

When the subject is not moving, you simply press the back button to focus and then after the subject is focused, you release the back button and fire the shot with the shutter button (which does not attempt to re-focus).  This way you can have both AI-Servo and Single-shot focus at your disposal at the same time.

On the 1DX, I have programmed a button to switch between AI-Servo and one-shot, so if I am in one-shot, I simply hold that button to switch to AI-Servo, or vice-versa.  This allows one to be ready for any situation without the need to change settings on the camera.

It's all about giving yourself more control over how and when the camera focuses, as opposed to improving focus accuracy.    They are two completely different things.

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow