Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,342Gear list
Like?
Re: This reads absurd.
In reply to DMillier, May 4, 2013

DMillier wrote:

Hi Ricardo

I don't really think it's wise to get into a squabble of this type. Remember what the original objective is: to classify the difference between the two cameras in some subjective sense as "small" "dramatic" or whatever.

I understand some of what you are saying, but I think when someone chooses such faulty methodology and thinking to reach a conclusion it's worth pointing out. More so, when one brand in such comparison gets the leeway to not be judged using that very same standard thrown at the other, in many other comparisons in this forum, in which Lin seems to often agree with.

I will focus more on the pattern and issues, less on the names.

The important thing to do to achieve this goal is to do your testing in a way that satisfies your critics not just yourself. Lin has thrown out a very casual test and appears to have satisfied him, presumably because it is what he expected to see, but I don't think he has done enough to placate the critics. The comparison has too many flaws.

It's really up to Lin, whether he wants to repeat the test in a more controlled way.  There's nothing to stop him spending 20 mins setting up a comparison that would be reasonably reliable if he were motivated to do so. It might not change the results in his eyes in the slightest but it would do wonders to shut up the critics (of his method, not the camera).

The original comparison didn't look right to me, the setting used weren't right and there is something odd looking about the trees in the Sigma shot, almost a HDR effect.  I don't know if this was the result of processing, the new sharpening method or what. But for me, these factors all make me distrust the findings.  I'm not going to accept his conclusion based on this comparison even if he is correct because something doesn't look right.

If he chooses to do it again, eliminating the doubtful elements, and gets the same result we'll all be in a different place. That's entirely up to Lin.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow