Lightroom Performance Advantage on MacPro: Separate or Partitioned SSD's?

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,226
Like?
Re: SSD for performance, partition for backup
In reply to Jacques Cornell, May 4, 2013

Majikthize wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

Majikthize wrote:

There is a non-speed advantage to partitioning, though, and that is that you can easily backup your data separately from your OS and apps.

Except for SuperDuper and TM, every backup program can have a folder as source (and destination), you don't need to have your data on separate volumes to set up separate backups.

Yes, of course, you're right that your data folders can easily be backed up regardless. But, TM and bootable clones only work at the volume level.

I still don't see any advantage in creating extra volumes for anything unless you:

1. Are wedded to do your backups with SD (and want a different schedule or destination for OS and data), or
  2. Expect to need to have to erase he volume with the OS (because if it only contains the OS the restore is faster).

Nobody needs a 'bootable clone' of the data volumes because a data volume is obviously not bootable anyway. The only reason I can think of that you mention bootable clones only working at the volume level (when advocating separate data volumes) is because you use a backup software that only (or most easily) works at the volume level.

And why you say that TM only works at the volume level is also unclear to me. I think you conflate 'is customised by excluding stuff not by including stuff' with 'only works at the volume level'.

But you have to set up backups for every volume separately which is extra work

Not much extra work there. Just add a second destination volume to TM prefs, and tell your cloning app of choice to copy one volume to another. Well worth it if your OS or boot drive goes south and you need to boot from a clone to troubleshoot. I also like to keep a clone of my old OS for a while after I upgrade to a new version, in case any bugs appear and I need to revert.

I don't see how having bootable clones of your boot volume (or keeping one for a little bit longer) requires you to (or are facilitated by) (a) backup your data separately or (b) put your data on a separate volume.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow