Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
Re: How to build a studio from scratch
In reply to fad, May 4, 2013

fad wrote:

Here's an unusual question:

I am adding on to my urban attached NYC townhouse, and I am thinking of constructing a workable studio on top of my 3rd story roof.  (I'm a street photographer, but I would like to do more studio shots of artistic photography.)

How do I find out how to specify this new space?

Where I would like to build has a northern exposure, and cannot be more than about 18' wide on the inside.   How tall and deep should I make it?  How much glass should I put in to use natural light.   What kind of finishes should the space have.

-- hide signature --

By now, you might be guessing that I've never actually used a photographic studio, although I know my way around the D800, multiple Nikon flashes and tripods.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

My advice....

Hire a couple of different studios in your locality, and do some actual shooting in them. The practical hands-on experience will probably tell you more about what would suit YOU and YOUR style of shooting..

... than any amount of advice from other shooters.

Myself, I'd love the opportunity of having a daylight studio with natural side-going AND overhead light available...

.... but I know that it would be very expensive to equip such a large work area with all the high density black-out blinds that I would also require, in order to work by artificial lights when I needed to ...

.... (electronic flash and continuous).

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow