The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,342
Like?
Re: The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....
In reply to fongg, May 4, 2013

I don't know how long you've been active on this forum, but it is slightly different than most.

In most forums there is rivalry between brands, in this forum it has always been largely rivalry between sensor technologies.

I think the main reason for this is because historically Sigma cameras (as cameras) have been  behind the technology curve. Once upon a time you might have bought a Sigma film camera because it was OK and you couldn't afford a higher end camera. These days, Sigma don't sell basic cameras by undercutting the majors in price, they sell basic bodies at the same or considerably higher price. And they are selling on one single specification: the use of Foveon sensors. And that means this isn't really the Sigma camera forum, it's the Foveon sensor forum.

There are some parallels in history: a few years ago digital cameras used CCD sensors, then Canon proved with their D30 model that it was possible to use CMOS type active pixel sensors in serious cameras.  That provoked quite a long running debate between CCDers and CMOSers.  As we know, CMOS one that battle and is ubiquitous in large sensors cameras.

A more modern fight seems to be going on over in the Fuji forum. Fuji have always been innovative with sensor layouts, first the SR sensors used in the S3 and S5, then EXR sensors like that in the X10 compact and more recently their shift to non-Bayer pattern CFA (X-trans technology).  This seems to have been quite divisive with fans claiming almost magical properties from removing an AA filter and messing with the organisation of the colour filters while others note that there are downsides to the approach.

All engineering approaches involve trade offs and there is no such thing as a free lunch. Optimise one parameter and another gets worse.  The forums dealing with these issues get quite religious about it all, Sigma forum is no different. The forums dealing with identical tech (like Canon/Nikon) essentially just fight over who has the best camera model this week and who will be best next week.

But the truth of the whole of DPR is that no one really cares that much about photographs or photographers. That's not a bad thing, it just reflects that it's a gear review site that encourages brand tribalism to get more hits.  if photographs are more your thing, go to photo.net or even better 1x.com which is only about photos and nobody talks gear at all (mind you, there are some here that dislike 1x.com because they focus on "art" photographs rather than forensic reality reproducers).

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow