Happily switched from Aperture to Lightroom?

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
Re: Happily switched from Aperture to Lightroom?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, May 4, 2013

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

There is a permissions problem with the way LR installs.

The fix is HERE.

Thanks, I managed to fix it anyway, by removing everything Adobe and reinstalling. As it happens I didn't like LR anyway.

The initial fixes I read all involved uninstalling everything.  I have a lot of plug-ins, in PS, quite a few I don't even remember where I got.  I did not want to go through the hassle of uninstalling them and finding and reinstalling them.

I hate when lazy programmers give you the advice to uninstall and reinstall.  It is like having a lung transplant to fix a cold.

I agree, although other factors have made me try to eradicate as much Adobe software from my system as I can - such as, a dreadful upgrade pricing policy, and the way it's files are installed on a system like a rash.

Of course the other part of this is investment. I spent a lot on Aperture over the years (the original purchase price when it was at its highest, plus a couple of upgrades), and find it hard to justify the cost of dumping it and moving to LR. I suspect that applies the other way round. Certainly as a 'hobbyist' that applies to a great extent. And either way round, you have to think about whether you need the aggravation of re-organising and re-editing your photo collection - which at best could be a few thousand, to many hundreds of thousands (I have 40,000).

I have both Aperture and Lightroom.  I bought Aperture when it was on sale in the new App store.  I would use neither for organizing photos.  For that I use Google's Picasa.  I prefer it's interface for the speed and simplicity.  I only use the libraries in Aperture and Lightroom for the purpose of editing photos.  If you let the libraries get to big it really slows LR down so I have several...instead of one that covers everything.

Interesting. Google software is another one I have eradicated from my system because of poor design. I hated the way it insists on installing the auto updater, which is no problem in itself, but it has caused my Mac to wake itself up in the night.

FWIW, I actually prefer the organisation in iPhoto, but that's a real pig to actually use nowadays.

I found the speed in Aperture isn't affected by the size of the library so much, but the size of projects. If you keep them small it seems OK - I have no speed issues at all on my old 2009 MacMini anyway.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow