The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,150Gear list
Like?
Re: The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....
In reply to richard stone, May 4, 2013

richard stone wrote:

And I think we (meaning all of us...) can say it is "good," not bad, when someone is excited or pleased with a camera and they enjoy using it.

Even if they have what "we" (meaning a few people who really can't see any benefit from Foveon sensors) might consider an inflated idea of its performance or results, etc. "We" (the few) might be wrong. (!) "We" (the few) might have different ideas about what makes a good image. "We" (the few, again...) might be incapable of "seeing" anything outside of what "we" like as a good image. Imagine that. (!)

This is in part the issue of people liking what they know....

And even more significantly, a camera that the user enjoys is going to get used more? Probably. Is this going to add significantly to the "art" and "beauty" in the world? Maybe not, considering the general level of photographic-style images in general, but it is at least possible. Meanwhile, the owner/user is pleased, and enjoys his camera, and that at least brings more joy into the world, not a bad thing. What is a bad thing is people telling the happy user that the camera he or she appreciates is really not very good.

Meanwhile, I am firmly convinced that some people simply cannot (or is it will not?) "see" any difference between Bayer images and those taken with a Foveon sensor, and I think they are mostly blind, but still, and indeed in part because they cannot see the difference, more to be pitied than scorned. No amount of arguing, no amount of well produced sample images, will convince them to open their eyes or their minds.

But Bayer cameras have their place, and I own several. They work great for snapshots.

And after all, this is a "gear" forum, and not one dedicated to "art" and composition, and even more significantly, this is the Sigma forum, so if a poster doesn't think the Sigmas are any good, maybe they should be posting in the forum where they actually like the camera in question? Think how that might improve their enjoyment of life. Or maybe they just like to argue and hold contrarian positions? Which is the more likely truth.

Richard

That would all seem fine and reasonable if it wasn't for the fact that the horse you decide to ride on is often the one putting down other cameras, technologies and completely blind to the compromises in using the "holy grail Foveon" as it if was some kind of epitome of sublime image quality perfection even often associating it (foolishly so) to a "better photograph."

Your very own assessment of

"But Bayer cameras have their place, and I own several. They work great for snapshots."

already points to what I just said and says more about you as a photographer (by light years) than the technology involved.

- Raist

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow