Shooting big game at the Arsenal (C&C please)

Started May 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cplittleton
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
Shooting big game at the Arsenal (C&C please)
May 4, 2013

Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge (Colorado) has recently opened their bison range to drive-thru wildlife watching.  Since I'm lucky enough to live within 45 minutes of the Arsenal, I've made two trips this spring, and the bison photography has been good both times.

I captured the image below today in absolutely horrible lighting conditions as I was leaving the bison area.  The bison's rear end was pointed right at the midday sun (note sign shadow), leaving the entire dark brown forebody and head in deep shadows.  Unfortunately, I knew if I moved my car the bison would leave the watering hole and the shot would be gone, so I applied the "card space is free" philosophy and fired away.  This shot is the best of the group, but as you can see it's not a great shot.  I've played in LR4 to get the what I think is the best exposure, but creating the right balance is eluding me.  Of course, I could clone out the sign, but I'm not thrilled enough with the rest of the image to take the time.  Any thoughts on how to improve where I'm at?

American Plains Bison (buffalo in common usage)

Just to share, here's a different (and I think better) shot from this morning, although this image still has the north-facing head issue.

American Plains Bison (buffalo in common usage) and Longs Peak

CPLittleton

cplittleton's gear list:cplittleton's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Nik HDR Efex Pro +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow