The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,631
Like?
Re: I think "Dramatic" is not an over-reaching descriptive...
In reply to Lin Evans, May 3, 2013

This has nothing to do with whether I like the results or not. It's whether I believe what you showed is an accurate portrayal of what you would gain if you swapped out a D7000 for a DP2m.

- Do I believe that the DP2m has significantly more resolution? Yes I do. But I still don't believe this comparison is representative.

(The 41MP equivalent comment came from the multiplying 30MP equivalent by 30mm/22mm, the relative difference in lens magnification used).

-The DP2m is a bit better than 24MP cams and 24Mp cams are a bit better than 16MP cams (not a lot better). The two improvements together would be significant. But not like your comparisons.

You should be getting results with similar differences to say a 450D and NEX5 - that is, quite a noticeable and worthwhile improvement. That would be in line with my own tests and the differences other sources have shown (including Imaging resource). However, your comparison is  showing ridiculous amount of difference. If it were accurate, why isn't the DP2m wiping out the D800 in every comparison instead of looking slightly worse? And why aren't we seeing the same kind results between the D800 and 16MP cameras? There is an inconsistency somewhere.

Why not decide this is a bit dubious and work up another pair of shots, equalising the settings and using completely standard processing so we can see more accurately the degree of improvement you get from the DP2m? It's still going to be a worthwhile upgrade.

ps

I've mentioned this before, but now that I have a shift lens for my NEX, I can experiment with flat stitching a wide range of resolutions. It's quite counterintuitive but there is a lot smaller difference in print quality between a 16MP image and a 40MP image than you would imagine from the numbers, Unless you print huge it makes hardly any difference...

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow