Considering the dslr to 4/3 switch

Started May 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
cornellra
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering the dslr to 4/3 switch
In reply to thermophile, May 3, 2013

Interestingly I came from a k7 and as such had similar requirements before jumping in head first into mft.

I went with the Om-D and the kit lens to start as I wanted something somewhat weather proof. The weather sealed lenses on the pentax side can be inexpensive , usually less than 200 new (18-55 WR) to expensive 800-1000$ (16-50 f2.8). I suppose from a cost psp, getting the two WR lenses will get you from 18-200 or the 18-135 WR as a compromise in price in a single lens

My take is that for many scenarios the performance may be sufficient to keep yor existing k20 while if willing to take the effort you can get a whole lot more out of the OM-D.

The size differential is huge. I went back to my k7 (which is smaller than the K20) and I had to do a double take and almost felt like I could never go back to a full size prosumer type dslr. Even with full grip, he om-d is way smaller. I will admit that the 12-50 is not my favorite lens. I keep my 14 or 30mm on it for general day/day use. I may end up getting the 12-35 or the rumored oly equivalent. My net investment after selling most of my pentax gear is around 500 bux but then again I had a few lenses. Still have an 18-135 if you are interested. ; )

I could go on and on but I have to admit that I love my mft camera and would not go back to a larger siZed unit for any reason.

-- hide signature --

===
Olympus OM-D E-M5
mZuiko 12-50, Pany 45-175 X, Pany 14 F2.5, Pany 20 F1.7, Sigma 19/30

cornellra's gear list:cornellra's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix F500 EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow