Happily switched from Aperture to Lightroom?

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,582Gear list
Like?
Non-linear workflow
In reply to Jack Frazier, May 3, 2013

Jack Frazier wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

I have to say that I really don't understand how LR got so popular. As far as I'm concerned the UI is simply awful, and seems to have no real flow to it. Adjustments were OK, but on my Mac Mini, not any faster than with Aperture.

And I can't see why anyone wouldn't like LR. The UI is well designed and has a logical flow. I tried Aperture and to me it was clunky and unintuitive.

I'll never understand why people bash LR because of the different Modules? Has anyone ever heard of a Context Sensitive menu? Of course you have so what's the difference?

I like to retouch as I edit. After a job, first thing I do is click through and reject the duds and star the keepers. Thing is, sometimes I need to tweak an image before I can rank it, and I hate having to switch back and forth between modules. With Aperture, all tools are available at all times. If I'm laying out a book and one of the images doesn't match the others, I have access to all my adjustments right there. Or, if I'm making a slideshow and I realize that one image is missing a caption, click and type right there. And the loupe is a real loupe, not a misnamed zoom, that I can park off to the size to check focus under the cursor without leaving the full-image view.

For new users, this may seem less intuitive, because Aperture's not pushing you down a linear path by imposing a particular workflow. But, the flip side is that you can use it the way you want to work.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow