The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,718Gear list
Like?
I think "Dramatic" is not an over-reaching descriptive...
In reply to DMillier, May 3, 2013

DMillier wrote:

Dramatic?  Is it really a "dramatic" improvement?

Let's say the Merrill is equivalent to a 30MP Bayer. That's (roughly) a doubling of pixel count over a regular 16MP sensor. Sounds a lot, but how big a difference does it make?  Surprisingly little, I find.

To be sure it's an improvement, but my working rule of thumb after many upgrades is that it is not worth upgrading (for improved resolution) for anything less than a doubling of pixel count. Significantly less and the improvement is only really visible with severe pixel peeping, while a doubling is enough for the improvement to be readily discernable.

So yes, the Merrill offers an easily noticeable improvement in detail over a regular 16MP, but I wouldn't call it "dramatic", I'd call it "worthwhile". Like the D800 really, yes it's better than 16 and 24MP cameras, but the improvement is a lot less in practice than the raw numbers might trick you into expecting.

A future improved D800 would provide an interesting conundrum. It might offer say 50MP and that sounds really  impressive, but it would likely be an invisible improvement except under some pretty idealised shooting conditions.

-- hide signature --

Hi David,

I think "Dramatic" is not an exaggeration for the difference between a good 16 megapixel Bayer image and a DP2 Merrill image. Here's a little non-scientific example which I find to be pretty typical when comparing my Nikon D7000 (excellent 16 megapixel sensor) with my DP2 Merrill. Sure one could argue till the cows come home about this specific example concerning RAW conversion versus jpg, etc., etc., but this really is pretty typical in my experience.

Link to example

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow