The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,496
Like?
Re: The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....
In reply to Roland Karlsson, May 3, 2013

Trouble with the fixed lens approach (especially with Sigma) is that to get the traditional rangefinder lens coverage you have to buy three cameras (that with the best will in the world) are not exactly state of the art in performance.

Then in a year or two when Sigma bring out the mark II with a few improvements that make life a little easier, you may feel the need to buy three more and then a couple of years later when they bring out the Mark iii with a bit more refinement, it's another 3 bodies and so on.

The fixed lens approach kind of makes sense to me if we had a mature market where all the products had reached a state of refinement that made further useful improvements rare. In that kind of situation (like 35mm SLRs at the end of the film era) you knew you could safely buy something that is that is more or less as good as it was going to get.

In the digital era, we're still half way through the development curve so you know that next year or the year after there is going to be much more useful product available that will be hard to ignore.  Maybe with mainstream manufacturers, cameras have already reached the "good enough" stage but Sigma are a bit behind, still at the "hair shirt" stage where you need a bit more than usual consumer product mindset to live with the products. To many here that isn't a problem but there are more for which it is a problem. To my mind at this point of development that makes interchangeable lens system much more attractive, as you only need to upgrade one body.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow