Getting the best out of your 6D

Started May 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,649Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting the best out of your 6D
In reply to ianbrown, May 3, 2013

ianbrown wrote:

Having had the 6D for a couple of months and taken about 4000 images I can say (for me) its a good but not great camera. Now to make it a great camera it may need better lenses and a better technique, tripod, mirror up etc.

I know that RAW may produce better images, but in the real world when you visit places of interest you are limited to almost snap shot techniques. Yes you can do the best of a bad job, ensure composition etc is good but when it comes to maximising the FF sensor  I guess you really need the prime lenses, RAW and tripod, mirror up etc. By this time your family have moved on and you are in the bad books!

I suppose this is where compromise and a second camera comes in?

I always like to think I have the best camera with me at all times but ensuring you get the best image is a different matter.

Ian

It may take the stress out of you if you when the use of extra effort - RAW or tripod - will ay off and when not.

The tripod is only of real use when you are lited in available light and therefore need a longer exposure or want to have the effect of flowing water etc.. It willl never be of any use with moving subjects - family, because to freseze the actio, you will need a fast shutter speed.

If you do not have the time to set up a tripod - it really is often only an option if you are alone, or with like minded people - the 6D is just right for you, because of its great high ISO capability. You will suffer less quality loss from simply upping the ISO to get a hand-holdable speed than users of compacts or smaller sensor SLRs (or EVILs).

The main advantage of RAW is to capture a greater dynamic range than JPEG (apart from being able to rescue the shot when the white balance is off or other errors). Therefore, if you are a good photographer who gets it right on the spot, you should choose RAW only for contrasty scenes.

And even here, the dyniamc range of your full frame is better, putting you less in need to use RAW than owners of "lesser" cameras...

However, you should use manual settings (aperture priority, exposure compensation, picture style, etc.) more often. My experience is that the camera automatic settings never get it fully right, having experience with manual tweaking always pays.

And here again you full frame SLR comes in handy - all controls for these features are easily accessible...

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow