D5100 underexposing. Any suggestions or is this normal?

Started May 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sharpdart
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
D5100 underexposing. Any suggestions or is this normal?
May 3, 2013

I've had my D5100 for several months now and have noticed that photos are underexposing. It doesn't seem to matter if the conditions are dark or bright - I still have to bump up the exposure in Aperture 2-3 stops. I generally use matrix metering, as I have with my D40 and D90. With both of them, the tendency was to overexpose (less with the D90, which seemed to nail the exposure most of the time). Granted, I'm not looking for perfection, but I didn't have to worry much about exposure issues as much as I do now. I'm not as serious about photography as I used to be, so it has been a little frustrating to do so much PP after taking my camera out.

Is this common with the D5100? I thought that it could have been my 18-55VR kit lens (as seen with the previous thread), but it happens with my Sigma 30mm as well. I also shoot RAW and kept the exposure compensation at 0. Obviously I will need to increase the exposure compensation, but I read so much about the D5100 have such great exposure that I am wondering if there is more I can do. Any suggestions?

Nikon D40 Nikon D5100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow