Are m4/3 cameras too expensive when you…

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
texinwien Senior Member • Posts: 3,320
Nail meet head

that m43 lenses cost less to manufacture... as if you have first had knowledge of the actual cost.  So tell us, what does it cost to make a 45m 1.8?  What % is materials? What % is labor? What % goes to cover the assembly facility? What % goes to cover R&D? And what % to packaging and shipping?

I'm not expecting an answer, I don't think you have a clue.  I don't know either, but I wouldn't be surprised if actual materials are only a small part of the cost.  Assembly likely costs MORE per unit because of lower volume.  R&D costs figure more in a 2 y/o low volume lens than a 10 y/o high volume design.  And yes, there's likely more of a markup to make up for that lower volume.

Sure they could charge much less, and as a result sell more pieces... and lose money on each unit.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

The gentleman (and I use that term very loosely here) appears to be wrong far more often than he is right.

Windbag is the term that comes to mind.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 OnePlus One Canon EOS 300D +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow