Are m4/3 cameras too expensive when you…

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Nail meet head
In reply to Art_P, May 3, 2013

that m43 lenses cost less to manufacture... as if you have first had knowledge of the actual cost.  So tell us, what does it cost to make a 45m 1.8?  What % is materials? What % is labor? What % goes to cover the assembly facility? What % goes to cover R&D? And what % to packaging and shipping?

I'm not expecting an answer, I don't think you have a clue.  I don't know either, but I wouldn't be surprised if actual materials are only a small part of the cost.  Assembly likely costs MORE per unit because of lower volume.  R&D costs figure more in a 2 y/o low volume lens than a 10 y/o high volume design.  And yes, there's likely more of a markup to make up for that lower volume.

Sure they could charge much less, and as a result sell more pieces... and lose money on each unit.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

The gentleman (and I use that term very loosely here) appears to be wrong far more often than he is right.

Windbag is the term that comes to mind.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow