Veteran MemberPosts: 7,706Gear list
Like?
Aloha Jonas B, :)
In reply to Jonas B, 11 months ago

Jonas B wrote:

Hawaii-geek wrote:

Anyone using this RX1  grip?   Really Right Stuff

Hi there HG,
This is Jonas B and we have "met" earlier in the Olympus, perhaps the micro 4/3 forum, discussing a couple of different things. I'm no longer that active here at DPR but happened to see your question about the grip when looking for other information.

Aloha Jonas B,

Of course I remember you.   Glad to see you here.  and it looks like you got the Full set up.

GREAT INFO , on the GRIP !     and pics , I see

will have to post a pic of my RX1 strap set up to "Clip ON" to my BackRapid Double straps.   I am sooo proud of how I have my three cameras config'd   on the double straps for sports.  LOL

Hope you start posting again here.       I  am on here because the RX1 is new to me , as is the a99. Still shoot D800 for most paid  stuffl.  But I am trying to mix in the two cameras more an more.  Just because it's FUN !

Loved the looks some of the other photogs had when I shot a TEE off with the RX1 right next to the Golf Channel cameras. LOL   ... they are going to remember it , when it gets published in next years  LOTTE Event Magazine.

Just got the EVF ,  and Love It !  the MF (DMF) zoom with peaking  is amazing.  imho clearly better vs the LCD.  and during the day - no brainier   Kills my need for my HoodMan.   It's my new party trick to a couple of my D800 PRO shooter friends.   Just did it tonight.  They was amazed. and of course it was night as well.

Also just got the  RX1 Hood (yes, the crazy expensive one, It just looks COOL)  , And the Heliopan Rubber one. Really useful, but strange looking.

I mean really,  If  you bought the RX1  ...  at least part of it is   ... you better at least look cool carrying it around.  

Even though most do not know how Good or Expensive it is.  YOU do.

I use the RRS grip. Now the camera is new to me (2 weeks) but the grip is not. ?? The last year I have been using the Olympus E-M5 and that camera is the same with regards to size and unusable original design for me so I have used a similar grip with the E-M5 all the time.
I shoot a little in the streets, whatever I find remotely interesting, some portraits, city-scapes and some landscapes, people, abandoned places, whatever but no parties or models. I often use tripod. I think this is different from your use but anyway:
The grip is essential to me. I wish John Milich made an RX1 grip as I like his design better than the RRS but they are very close to each other. The grip makes it possible to quickly get the camera out of the bag and to hold it securely - without a grip the camera needs a strap and that's not for me.
I bought the full set including the L-plate from RRS. It works well, the integrated Arca-Swiss plates adds a lot of value for me, the left side cover over the connectors can be opened and used without removing the grip or the L section and it is the same with the battery door.
RRS should have a look at the Milich grip and learn how to make the metal possible to hold without slipping. I had to attache some anti slip tape on the grip handle and now it works as expected (which means very very well and the grip won't come off the camera).
The grip adds to the size of the camera but that is not a problem at all for my hands. You have probably already checked the images at RRS here.

The price, well, it isn't cheap but you nearly get what you pay for; the grip fits perfectly to the camera bottom plate and it is, unlike some SLR grips, rock steady.

kind regards,
Jonas

Jonas,   you have the BEST  explanation and pic description of this Grip.  Thank you !

There seems to be a building case for the  full L section  Arca-Swiss plates.  (in addition to the Grip)

HG

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/
Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow