The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,597
Like?
Re: The BIGGEST problem with my DP2M....
In reply to jennyrae, May 3, 2013

I'm wary of terms like "very big" which are so subjective another person might consider them "just noticeable".

I've done quite a lot of comparisons using other people's photos, not my own as I don't have a DP2m and my conclusion (tentative so far) is that it has higher resolution than the 24MP APS-c sensors and 24MP full frame, but only by a very tiny bit. It is worse than the D800.

Where it is slightly unusual is the way it preserves some fine lines and textures. I don't believe it is doing this with resolution but with acutance.  To compare to other cameras is difficult because acutance is in part the result of the very fine lens used.  You can test this acutance theory by applying contrast boosts to small areas of a bayer image (say DPR studio shot).  By darkening the shadows you can get the bayer image contrast up on those fine lines so it looks similar to the DP2m.

I think the DP2m has a definite advantage here above and beyond resolution.  It also has its noise, shadow desaturation and aliasing characteristics which come as part of the package.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow