Can more than one flash be controlled off-camera with a pair of Yongnuo YN-622C

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Questions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,800Gear list
Like?
Re: Can more than one flash be controlled off-camera with a pair of Yongnuo YN-622C
In reply to DVasquez, May 3, 2013

DVasquez wrote:

So now I'm confused, yet it's what I was thinking also. if the YN-622c imitates a cord or fools the camera into think the flash is on the camera, I would also think I could get away with just two, one on my camera and one on the 580exii which would then in turn be set as a master and control the 430ex as it would be set as slave (the 580exii controlling the 430ex via optical). Also worthy of consideration is the tripping hazard the cord posses.

I don't have the YN-622s but:

If you put both flashes in full manual power control mode then you should be able to assign the on-camera flash, mounted on the YN-622 transmitter, to one group and the off-camera flash to the second group.  This way you should be able to adjust the power of each flash from the camera.

If you want to shoot in E-TTL then I have no idea what would happen.

Personally I don't recommend using E-TTL, or any other brand of TTL, if you don't have to. Every time the background or subject changes brightness or you change the ratio of subject to background in the image the TTL exposure will change.  Flash Exposure Compensation can help but you will still spend an enormous amount of time and energy fixing the exposures of each image in post processing.

About the only time TTL is really useful is if the subject to flash distance is constantly changing. TTL will get the exposures close as the distance changes but again, as the background or subject brightness changes or the subject/background ratio changes you will have to be guessing at FEC adjustments and still have to make exposure adjustments one-by-one on your images in post processing.

If the distance is fixed then you are better off using manual power control of the flash units.  If you get the exposure right then all the rest of the images will have the exact same exposure.  If you miss it a bit then you can fix it on one image and do a global correction for all the other images.  Much easier than fixing each one because you used TTL.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow