Happily switched from Aperture to Lightroom?

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,706Gear list
Like?
Not for me
In reply to The A-Team, May 3, 2013

I finally got LightRoom to install properly here, but only after manually deleting all traces of Adobe software from my Mac, then reinstalling everything from scratch.

I have to say that I really don't understand how LR got so popular. As far as I'm concerned the UI is simply awful, and seems to have no real flow to it. Adjustments were OK, but on my Mac Mini, not any faster than with Aperture.

For sure Aperture isn't perfect, but I feel the workflow it offers is far more efficient - like others have said, it's far easier to go back and forth between adjustments, or add a rating/keywords etc., and go back to tweaking again.

Of course I didn't spend a lot of time with LR, and I'm sure if it came to be the only option as a DAM, then I'd get used to it. Right now though, I'm really hoping we do get an Aperture 4, as LR does not make me want to migrate, and re-edit 40,000 photos.

FWIW, has anybody with modest needs had a look at 'darktable'? It's an open source DAM, which seems to work very similarly to LR, but is free (it even has camera and lens profiles). Again, the UI wouldn't make me switch over right now, but should Aperture actually become obsolete, it's certainly worth considering.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow