Started May 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,629Gear list
Like?
Handheld stability mystery
May 3, 2013

I have a Pentax K5ii and a Sony A65.  Both very nice DSLRs.  I typically use them with 18-135 zoom lenses, but also with telephotos to 300 mm.

I find that when I take handheld shots with the K5ii, somehow I am able to hold the camera much steadier than I can hold the A65.    The image dances around less in the K5ii viewfinder.  I am at least twice as steady holding the K5ii than I am the A65.    I find this with all my lenses.

I do all the usual recommended things for stability, holding the viewfinder up to eye, contacting forehead, arms tucked in and all that.  As part of my job, I have trained many technicians and engineers to do optical alignments so I am aware that my hands are quite a bit steadier than the average persons.

Both cameras have in-body stablization.  The Sony Steadyshot system works great and I have no problems getting good handheld shots even as the lights get dim.   But I do even better with the Pentax because  I hold it steadier.  The Pentax IBIS does not have to work as hard.

I find the K5ii grip comfortable as opposed to the A65 grip being super-comfortable.  Could it be it is detrimental to stability to design a grip for maximum comfort?

Is a steadier shooting experience something Pentax is known for?

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
Pentax K-5 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow