Nikkor vs Canon L glass... Equal?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,015Gear list
Like?
What's wrong with variable aperture?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, 11 months ago

This prejudice against variable aperture doesn't make any sense today. There is nothing about variable aperture per se that impacts anything and it's easy to set aperture to f/4 or f/5.6 in M or A mode.

In fact I think people may be willing to pay a premium for fixed aperture for inexplicable reasons that it might make sense for manufacturers to stop down a lens to maintain a constant aperture. Who's to say, maybe the 24-120 f/4 is actually an f/2.8-f/4 but at the shorter focal lengths where the aperture could be wider, the manufacturer has set the lens to stop down to f/4 - I believe the aperture blades are partially closed at shorter FLs. Why else would aperture blades not be fully open? (I am going by what people have reported as I don't have the lens)

I'm not saying that they are doing this but it seems that people would pay more as an f/4 than as an f/2.8-f/4 even if the f/4 is achieved by stopping down.

The big difference for video would be were the lens parfocal but I don't think any of the current zooms are - change focal length and you will lose focus.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow