MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,075Gear list
Like?
Re: n=5 and some perspective over 10 years
In reply to Jorginho, May 2, 2013

Jorginho wrote:

If we had 15months, n would be 15. Still...we have only one motnh of:

arpil, may, june, july, august, september in it

In quarters n=5. Good luck with statistical signifcance.

I guess you also think 60 consecutive months of data would also be meaningless because n=5 for each month

Sample sizes of 30 have low statistical power and are likely to result in Type II errors (failure to reject the null hypothesis when there is a real difference).  Based on your logic, companies shouldn't be bothered by 4 or 5 consecutive years of declining sales--Never mind that the company might go bankrupt and investors lose billions of dollars.

And without that AND any background on why it the numbers are down in Q1 2013, we can say nothing to the relevance of it.

Some people here seem eager to do so or they tell me that others take these numbers serious. I am not saying you should not take them serious. You should if it is your interest or your livelihood depends on it. And you should come up with answers to questions, not assumptions.

So I'll await that and will not opionate on something I have little knowledge about other than 5 figures.

I suppose you also think the following data are meaningless and that Mr. Jarraud was foolish to have expressed concern about global warming.

The World Meteorological Agency said in annual climate report Thursday the years from 2001 to 2012 were all among the top 13 warmest on record. ...WMO Secretary-General Michel Jarraud says "sustained warming of the lower atmosphere is a worrisome sign" of global warming despite La Nina

http://www.kwtx.com/weather/headlines/2012-Was-Ninth-Hottest-Year-On-Record-205780981.html

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow