D600 vs d7100

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,074Gear list
Like?
Re: If these quality aspects are decisive, than let's have a look at zooms on Fx and Dx
In reply to lock, May 2, 2013

lock wrote:

Thanks for the feedback !

The only one close to that lens is the Tokina but it doesn't provide the demanded maximum aperture. However, would it matter much? From 11 to 16 mm wide open at 10 mtrs the DOF goes from 1.8/3.1 mtrs to infinity. The 12-24 Fx goes from 1.5/4/0 to infinity. You do not gain much more control in terms of DOF do you ?

To be honest, I do not look much into DOF tables like that ... I look at imagesĀ  One can calculate DOF back and forth, but there is a multitude of other factors at play too, like different OOF characteristics of different lenses.

But to give a short answer, yes there is a visible difference, enough to affect how you end up shooting.

If you stick to the same DOF you can get on FX, you are correct. There is no counterpart in Dx because they do not go below f/2.8. Basically, this the major issue: if you need slim DOF your road is Fx. But you have to remember there is a price. If i go all Nikon, the d7100 with the 17-55 would match the 24-70 on a d600 pretty well. The latter may be better, but is it worth the price difference of 619 euros ? I don't know...

Yep, it really is hard to give universal answers ... If it is worth it will vary hugely with budget, what and how you shoot and also with personal taste.

True. And for the purpose you mentioned above, you are correct. But isn't the wide end used mostly for landscapes ? And would it matter that much given that in most cases everything is within the DOF range  up to infinity ? I have to admit if I do closeup of people, I do not use wide angle lenses. One of these preferences....

I shoot a lot of events where I out of necessity end up shooting people up close with fairly wide lenses. And just to throw a bit of a curveball into this discussion - one lens I use a lot on my D3 is actually the DX 35/1.8, works great up close Also at events I shoot stuff (gifts, flower arrangements, details in general) up close where I want the background to be there, but also nicely blurred.

I also shoot a lot of action with wide lenses where I either go for small apertures and a lot of DOF, or widest aperture possible for background blur.

On the other hand, for landscape and macro use (which I rarely shoot), the deeper DOF is often more of a feature then a problem.

I also do a lot of stuff in low light, so I need fast lenses and good hi iso performance. I had a d600 for about 6 months but I returned it. I know how good it was at higher isos, and I will no doubt miss that if I would go back to Dx. But if I look at the other side of my field of interest, I need long lenses too. Cropping the Dx out of an Fx picture really doesn't help to maintain the iso advantage. I do not have the money to buy the big and fast lenses like the sigma 120-300. It's a hobby, you know.

I probably will catch some flack over this ... But with one exception, you can mimic having a DX camera easily with you long lenses - just use a 1.4x teleconverter with your FX camera. You get essentially the same AOV, the same DOF and the same noise performance as you would have gotten with a DX camera and the same lens (but without the converter). The one thing you do not get is the AF performance (both in terms of AF speed and the DX bonus of better frame coverage). Now, comparing the D7100 and D600 this issue get a bit blurred since the D7100 have a better AF system then the D600 which means the AF advantage get significant.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow