MFT shipments down

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 7,846Gear list
Like?
Re: revenues down the same as units (but about 19%, not 43%)
In reply to MichaelKJ, 11 months ago

This is all good, knowledgeable discussion. Very pleasing to see. And interesting to see that with the corrected figures, CSC retained parity with DSLRs.

The point about smartphones is well made. I wonder whether smartphones (and tablets) are the "new chocolate"? It is well documented that in economic downturns, chocolate either holds up or improves its position. Why? Because it is the luxury everyone can afford. Instead of taking that holiday, people stay home and have some chocolates. Chocolate is the relatively inexpensive but appreciated gift. And so on.

People move from larger luxuries to small luxuries; from large discretionary purchases to smaller discretionary purchases.

Smart phones could fit into this category. Instead of a new camera and/or computer, you buy a smart phone.

An additional factor affecting the downturn in camera sales in the USA might be lack of new equipment announcements in the period. With this in mind, it will be interesting to see the 2013 Q2 figures.

MichaelKJ wrote:

Eamon Hickey wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

So instead of raw figures, perhaps we can see revenue? My guess is, it won't reflect nearly as much of a dip, if any at all, due to the fact that, while fewer units were shipped, they were, on the average, more high end bodies and lenses, because there are a lot more of both now than there were a year ago.

CIPA also provides revenue numbers. Revenues for mirrorless ILC cameras shipped in Q1 2013 were 82% of revenues for the same period in 2012, so about 18% lower.

It turns out that's about the same as the drop in units shipped. I noticed that the units shipped figure Mr. Hogan was using for Q1 2012 wasn't correct -- he has since updated his original article to reflect that.

Using the correct figures, mirrorless ILC units shipped in Q1 2013 were about 81.5% of units shipped for the same period in 2012. So about 19% lower.

Thanks for catching this. Perhaps Thom should write a companion article about the drop in DSLR sales on bythom.com

Price per unit was essentially unchanged (up less than 1%): 33,056 yen in the first quarter of 2012 and 33,297 in 2013.

For DSLRs, price per unit increased 5%: from 38,182 yen to 40,279.

That's a more modest decline, and slightly less than the decline for DSLRs (although the difference isn't significant, in my view). With the corrected figures, it strengthens my feeling that the cause is probably mostly slack economic conditions in much of the world, rather than anything specific about the mirrorless camera business.

I think you are probably right, although some of it could reflect more people relying on their smartphones.  Smartphone sales have continued to rise during the recession, so buyers may only have sufficient disposable income to upgrade their phones.

Still, I'm surprised at the relatively significant decline in mirrorless ILC sales.

So am I. For the time being, it appears that mirrorless is no longer taking market share away from DSLRs.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow