Can I get some suggestions?

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ConanD
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
Re: Can I get some suggestions?
In reply to MTWewerka, May 2, 2013

MTWewerka wrote:

I'm going to focus on these two images. First, the Rolls. This has the potential to be a great shot, but as Daisy pointed out—which I'm glad she did—the shadow over the "RR" logo is not only distracting, it obscures the most recognizable part of the car. While some people (car fans) may recognize the hood ornament by itself, but to most, the RR is the most visually recognizable aspect of a Rolls Royce. The angle, crop and actual photo aren't bad at all. I think next time just be cognizant about shadows and you'll do much better.

As for picture number two, I like this image a lot and I think you can still save it. First, let me ask, what do you use to edit your images? Photoshop, Lightroom...Nikon NX, nothing? If you have photoshop (if not, you can get Elements for under $100, which if you spend $1000+ on a camera, is a must) then I would carefully "clone" out that poll. Next, I'd duplicate the newly touched up layer and give it a Gaussian blur of about 30 or more. Then drop that layer down to about 35-40%. About now, it's going to start looking like an image with a soft touch finish, that's okay. Make a layer mask, now, take a soft brush, drop the opacity to about 65-75% and start to paint away the blur over the car. It's okay to bleed outside the edges of the car and the foreground, but now your car will take center stage while the background is faded out a bit. If you're not happy with the result, mess with the opacity of the blurred layer until it looks right. You can also darken it too, pushing it further back. The shot is decent and with a little trickery, you can make it still stand out.

Hope that helps and is a little more constructive than, eh, it looks like crap.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Mike Wewerka
mwewerka.tumblr.com

Awesome feedback.  I am using LR4 but I have PS 12 at work.  I'll have to give your suggestion a try.

ConanD's gear list:ConanD's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow