OM-D EM-5 definitely has a better IQ than EX-1!

Started May 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil1
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?
OM-D EM-5 definitely has a better IQ than EX-1!
May 2, 2013

At least if you believe DPR!

As many reviewers say how well the X series performs in terms of IQ, I was very disappointed when I used the DPR lens comparison widget (link below) to see how it fared against some of the other contenders, such as the OM-d EM-5, NEX-7 and Pentax K-01.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-e1/20

The results, to my eye at least, show a lack of contrast, possibly some ‘flare’ and a very hazy image compared to those of the other cameras on this page. It is almost as if the X image has had too much noise reduction applied, and yet these are supposed to be RAW images. You’ll see I’ve chosen fairly typical cameras for comparison.

Maybe it is the way DPR handled the files, perhaps it is my lack of experience or possibly it is something else altogether, but something seems wrong to me!

Can anyone throw some light on this please?

I really want to love the X series as I am looking for a smaller, lighter system to complement my 5Dii + L lenses and the X form factor is just what I’m looking for.

Phil

PS Where the reviewers seem to be correct is at much higher ISOs where the X sensor excels WRT noise.

PPS I posted this in another forum originally but, while there were a few very thoughtful replies, it occurred to me that this is a better place to air the problem. So many apolgies if you have seen this before and especially if you had replied to my earlier post.

PPPS DPR apparently used Adobe Camera Raw for all of the RAW conversions, with auto sharpness turned off, to get as level a playing field as possible.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Pentax K-01 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow