MFT shipments down

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,746Gear list
Like?
Re: revenues down the same as units (but about 19%, not 43%)
In reply to MichaelKJ, May 2, 2013

MichaelKJ wrote:

Still, I'm surprised at the relatively significant decline in mirrorless ILC sales.

>So am I. For the time being, it appears that mirrorless is no longer taking market share away from DSLRs.

Hi Michael

I think that a significant portion of initial sales numbers were driven in large part by DSLR owners looking for a smaller lighter back up kit to go alongside their main system. That was certainly my initial interest though I have bought into the quite substantially . Obviously there were many who went into the system hook line and sinker but not in the quantities the initial sales numbers indicated. Now, with the competition growing in the small carry around market from a number of directions including a number of other mirrorless systems, the growth of the large sensor compact sector, and even at the lower end many seem satisfied with their mobile phone cameras. The fundamental advantage of mFT is size and weight if you remove that particular criteria it becomes easy to get more for your money {regarding image quality at least}.

I am not too surprised as in the last year or so there have been some excellent DSLR cameras especially from Nikon with excellent class leading sensor performance in all ranges from the D5200 –D7100-D600-D800-D800E-D4, Canon though their APS cameras have not exactly been  revolutionary, the have also done well with their FF models. I firmly believe that sooner or later mirrorless will dominate the market, the difference with some here is that I do not think it will be mFT that inherits the earth. The on-going losses of Olympus and Panasonic imaging departments in what many were promoting as a supposed boom time in mFT sales says quite a bit. At least to those of us who do not cite Flickr groups as a source of sales data

It is rather amusing that the same people who jumped on every tiny snippet of positive data { all sourced from the same data sets these numbers represent] who were spouting the old DSLR's are dead routine , have trouble accepting these numbers

Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow