Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,762Gear list
Like?
PTLens
In reply to Detail Man, May 2, 2013

Detail Man wrote:

technic wrote:

I don't have experience with this combination, but in general PTLens also does a good job for distortion correction, resulting in much better corner sharpness than LR/CR or in-camera processing. Probably those more complicated distortion corrections cannot be done in-camera at the time.

Not familiar with what PTLens does either (the profile-data is collected by individual users from characteristics of their own individual units). If it uses the same process that the Panasonic image-file meta-data uses, I think that it is a fairly simple correction algorithm that proceeds from a single point located at the center of the image-frame, the identity for which is shown here:

PTLens does NOT use a simple algorithm but more complex functions which can fully correct moustache distortion (unlike the algorithms in LR/ACR and most other RAW converters and in-camera processing).

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/distortion.html

However, AFAIK it uses fixed parameters for a certain lens (focal length) normally calibrated at infinity focus, and does not correct for changes in distortion with focus distance (potentially DXO can do that, but it's not clear to me if/which of their software really uses this).

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow