Nikkor vs Canon L glass... Equal?

Started May 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,600Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikkor vs Canon L glass... Equal?
In reply to ammac12, May 2, 2013

Really good input here.  Sounds like I wouldn't miss a beat.  One concern I'm getting from this is to gain reach, I'm going variable aperture.  That's not going to be good for speed when trying to reach across the lacrosse field and catch my son taking a shot.  This hobby keeps getting more and more expensive!  Thanks again Craig.

adam

I'm going to jump in here not to provide opinion on glass, but about positioning for your son's lacrosse game.  I shoot HS sports, and in soccer, I move around the sidelines to capture shots of the players from different angles.  There is no one position that is the "best".  Have you tried positioning yourself behind the goal line (?) in lacrosse?  In this location, you can catch your son coming towards the goal, rather than speeding across the field and your camera.  In this location, you have a better chance of getting a sharp photo because there is less side to side motion of the player, and you will definitely see the facial emotion of his shot as he is coming towards you.

Expensive?  Wait until you start toying with 300mm and 400mm f2.8 lens.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow