Started May 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bdog01
Regular MemberPosts: 358
Like?
D7100 Back Focus in AF-C
May 2, 2013

Yes, I know this is FX forum - wanted to get some input from users of the Multi-CAM 3500 focusing module (from D4 and D800 FX users).

I picked up a D7100 and it will be perfect for my macro photography, but I've run into an issue while photographing dogs in AF-C mode.

The focus (in AF-C) is bang on for stationary objects, but when they accelerate towards me, I'm getting sufficient (up to a foot) back focusing that the shots are not usable (I'm using the 50 (1.8) and the 24-70). In a sequence of say 10 shots, 10 will be back focused.

Analyzing the focus point position indicates that I'm not always exactly hitting the head of the dog - but whether I do or do not hit it, back focus occurs.

AF-C priority selection is set to focus. Single point (center) focus always used.

For those of you that shoot objects accelerating towards you, what settings or techniques have you found most helpful? Do you use 3D tracking or dynamic area AF? What about focus tracking with lock on?

Nikon D4 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow