D600 vs d7100

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,726
Like?
If these quality aspects are decisive, than let's have a look at zooms on Fx and Dx
In reply to Grevture, 11 months ago

Just to make a start. We could do the same with primes, but this table is about zooms. We could also do it with mid to long end zooms or even primes, but maybe next time.

I'm interested in your opinion about the various combo's, it's quality considering the prices, because I'm trying to decide myself what I should do next. As an example I will pick one comparsion of Dx:FX from the table below, but you can do the same for any kind of set.
The only thing I try do to is the define sets with lenses using the same effective focal range. I did not list anything about VC/OS or VR because that only complicates things. Prices are all in euro's.

One point you made about quality refers to DOF control. Let me use the comparison of a d7100 with the sigma 8-16 (total price 1770.-) and a D600 with the much faster nikon 14-24 2.8 (3100,-). I could also use the slower Sigma, but I think the comparison would become less clear then. DOF control: what will the 14-24 give you on a D600 compare to d7100 with the 8-16?

At 14 mm wide open and 2 mtrs the DOF range is 1.6 to 2.8 mtrs. With the sigma (on the d7100) it is .5 mtrs to infinity.
At 14 mm wide open, at 5 mtrs distance the DOF on the Nikon is 1.6 to infinity. With the Sigma at 8 mm you will get a range of 0.6 to infinity.
At 14 mm wide open, at 30 mtrs distance the Nikon DOF is 2.2 to infinity. With the Sigma at 8mm you will get a range of 0.7 to infinity.

At 24 mm wide open and 2 mtrs the DOF range is 1.1 to 14.3 mtrs. With the sigma (on the d7100) it is 1.2 mtrs to 16.2.
At 24 mm wide open, at 5 mtrs distance the DOF on the Nikon is 2.9 to 18.7. With the Sigma at 8 mm you will get a range of 1.6 to infinity.
At 24 mm wide open, at 30 mtrs distance the Nikon DOF is 5.5 to infinity. With the Sigma at 8mm you will get a range of 2.1 to infinity.

Will these DOF differences be an issue for you, given your purposes of using a wide angle ? If so, why ? Is there anything else that will make you decide to take the full frame route given the price differences of these combinations ? Did I miss a lens (and combo) ?

Let me point this out very clearly: i'm not debating any choises here. We all have our preferences. I'm just asking for arguments so I can chose wisely. Price is only one source of information that will help me to decide (although it is an important one).

lock

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow