I am having so much fun with my new D800...

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
RomanJohnston
Forum ProPosts: 18,460Gear list
Like?
Re: I am having so much fun with my new D800...
In reply to mrpevets, May 2, 2013

mrpevets wrote:

Roman

I have been following your purchase of the D800 & was waiting to see some of the results

These pics are awesome.

I have 2 questions & I do hope that you can find the time to respond

I have a D4 but love to shoot landscapes like these.

My thinking was to get a D800e to go with my D4 and use the "E for landscapes.

I have the 16-35 f4; 24-70 f2.8; 70 - 200 f2.8; 105 f2.8 macro; 85 f1.4; & a sigma 50 f1.4

What is your opinion of getting the "E"

I am printing on an Epson 4900

First, I think your D4 should get wonderful results for your 17" wide printer. Not sure if I already owned one that I would invest in the D800 at all. But I am a less is more kind of person. I print at 40" x 60" often with 12MP. Yes...the D800 or D800E will make a difference, but often I see people putting technology before the art of picture taking. I can say this, at 40" x 60"...the D800 has a decided advantage detail wise. But I would MUCH rather purchase or view a WELL TAKEN, WELL PROCESSED shot from a D4 before I would look and maybe purchase a poorly taken shot from a D800/E. The actual picture and how it draws you in should mean more than the ultimate level of detail. I can print what I consider gallery quality from a 12MP file up to 30" x 45"...that stands up to 4-6 inches from the print scrutiny. I am not trying to get you NOT to buy a D800, but I am making sure you have enough good information to make a good decision.

I am kind of glad I struggled along on 12MP for this time and made it work so well for large prints. It now gives me a HUGE set of tools to maximize what I am now getting from the D800, but without that struggle, I would be depending on the cameras ability's instead of my own to make the most of my work. I guess this kinda puts me in a Thom Hogan kind of mindset. Learn with more limitations and you can take what you learn into newer and better gear and be able to truly maximize what you end up creating. Sorry if that sounded like a lecture, but I know lots of others will be reading this post and it IS important info to get out there.

Can you tell me what your workflow is.

If you do not want to share, I certainly understand but I have admired your work & can not seem to come close to the results that you get.

Not gonna share my "super duper triple dog dare secrete" work flow with you

but I will give you pieces of the puzzle.

1. First off...buy the complete set of NIK tools. They have gotten dirt cheap (considering what value they have) now that Google has taken them over. These tools are very helpful in fine tuning your work after your established workflow.

2. My workflow is based off Microcontrast. It is actually very simple, but has very important parts.

a. Curve with special layer mask in RGB.

b. LAB color space with another curve with special layer mask.

c. Layer blend (back in RGB)

d. A few tweaks with NIK tools

I am visual based and my editing follows that closely. I look for certain clues to pop for me as I do my adjustments often ignoring other aspects (like saturation) which I can correct for later after I achieve what I want.

I have created a personal action that works well. I can often get a shot from RAW to finished in about 10 - 15 min if there are no special "problems" in the image to handle.

Editing is a lot like shooting. It is good to learn from others, but to be truly unique...you need to hammer out your own personal style.

Hopefully I have not gotten TOO preachy...and given you some good information to chew on.

Roman

-- hide signature --

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious; It is the source of all true art and science.
~ Albert Einstein
http://www.commercialfineart.com/
http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow