Do I really need prime portrait lens?

Started May 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,457Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I really need prime portrait lens?
In reply to Tepacca, May 2, 2013

Tepacca wrote:

I have Nikon 70-200mm f4 VR
Will primes like Nikon 105mm DC or Nikon 85mm 1.4 produce a much better results for portraits? I do not think these would be sharper but will bokeh be that different to justify buyung a new lens?

Thanks

As the others have said only you can answer the question on what you need since it will be your money you send to address this.

That said, I wold find an f/4 lens to be too slow for my only portrait option.  I have a 70-200 f/2-8 which is my main portrait lens and an 85mm f/1.8 as well.  Which one I use depends on what my goals are.  For me, I find 100-200mm range at f/2.8 to most often give me the look I am after.  Most of the time I go to 200mm since that gives me better subject isolation.  Consider a 1.8g lens as they are not very expensive and so you risk less if you end up not using it as much.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow