How do legacy 300mm+ lenses do on Nex system?

Started May 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,893
Like?
all over the place
In reply to svgklingon, May 2, 2013

svgklingon wrote:

I just got my first legacy lens. A Minolta MD Rokkor X 50mm 1.7. I love it. The weather has not been very nice since I got it but as soon as I get out and take some nice pics I'll be sure to post them.

Now that I've got my first legacy lens, I know this is going to be an expensive habit. I'm curious as to how well large tele lenses do on the adapter. 300+ I'm thinking. I am going to Yellowstone next month and think a zoom larger than my SEL 55210 might be nice for distant wildlife.

Thanks,

~peter

Performance of legacy tele zooms (and even primes) is all over the place, but most of them suffer from softness and CA. The best legacy zoom I found so far in 300mm range was Pentax-FA 100-300mm f/4.7-5.8. It's on the slow side, but very good colors, very good contrast and resolution in the whole range starting from wide open. The other lenses I've tried Minolta/Kiron/Nikon/Canon/Sigma required stopping down and still weren't as good in all mentioned areas. I also have SEL55210, which is excellent in 55-100 range, ok at 150mm, and pretty poor at 210mm. It also requires stopping down on the long end to get some useful sharpness.

Pentax-FA 100-300mm

Pentax-FA 100-300mm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow