New (and better?) Bare Bulb Alternative to Q Flash and Elinchrom Ranger. What do you think?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,394Gear list
Like?
Re: Good info in this thread.
In reply to plevyadophy, May 2, 2013

plevyadophy wrote:

Two triggers?

I was thinking of the fact that you have to have one trigger for the HSS feature and then use the other for power adjustments of the lights and even then you still have to walk over to your lights,

-I suspect I'd either be using HSS most of the shoot, or not at all.  I just did an outdoor shoot with speedlights where I never touched it (grey day) the shoot before...every shot (forgot the neutral density filters.)

almost useless focus assist lamp;

I've long since stopped using a focus assist lamp.  It was too much of a distraction.

I am not lucky enough to own one of them new cams that can focus down to -3EV or -2EV. So I need as much focus assistance as I can get (and besides, I am sure I was reading somewhere an explanation as to why these new focus modules aren't as reliable as the older less sensitive types).

-The new sensor on the D800 is very good...unfortunately it is also effected by the majority wavelength. The result is the focus shifts with different light sources.  Outdoors I need to tune the focus forward...indoors (under warm lights) back.  The last firmware improved this, but didn't eliminate it completely.

no TTL;

Which will require keeping the speedlights around for some event photography.

Yeah, I do like mi speelites too and I am considering that Nissin machine gun monster (the MG8000) for stuff like fashion shows but ................. if one needs more power than a speedlite can offer, or wants a nicer spread of light in addition to more power and also wants TTL then it appears the only game in town is Quantum's lights.

-Since I was using a single assist light, on the last outdoor shoot, I tried TTL and just used the flash EV adjustment in camera with Pixel Kings.  It worked well.  Never tried it with multiple flashes...there I always end up in manual mode.

no Auto Flash Mode;

?  Do you mean with a thermistor on the flash?  This is almost useless to me.  If I'm going to use auto it has got to be TTL.

Yeah that's what I am talking about. I actually like using Auto Thyristor type settings as I find it more predictable than TTL and more convenient than Manual flash.

-I used to use auto thyristor (not thermistor...but it would be interesting to see a heat measuring flash.) But that was a billion years ago with mostly manual cameras.  Once the flash moves off the camera the light the flash sees becomes really different from the light the camera is seeing.

no way to switch HSS on and off from the on-camera remote control;

I'm more concerned with whether it will work with Pixel Kings.  Neutral density filters might be the way to go anyway, as you mentioned.  I just picked up a Cokin filter set.

Did you read Part 2 of the Godox review over at Flash Havoc? He does an entire feature on HSS options and discusses things like Pixel Kings etc.

Re ND filters. That very same Part 2 review shows very clearly, with the benefit of sample images, how the use of ND filters might be a photogs best friend. But me, i am lazy and hate carrying extra bits and pieces, plus having an ND filter on front of my lenses may cause my cams to hunt for focus; I could of course use the Cokin type filters, just slide the filter up to focus and then down again to take the shot but that then loses the rhythm of the soot.

-I'll have to go back and reread.  There was a lot to take in the first time.  Thanks for the reminder.

The advantage of Elinchrom kit is that it does have a half decent modelling light which can be pressed into use for video as well (of course, as has been pointed out by another poster in this thread, the modelling light ain't super powerful and will therefore be pretty useless once it's being bounced into an umbrella or such like.

-Don't do video.  As far as chimping, I find I need to do that with or without modeling lights.

Yeah, I hear that but if the price differential between the lower power lights (Godox 180, Quantum T) and the higher power varants (Godox 360, Quantum X, Elinchrom Quadra) isn't that great then it makes sense, I would have thought, to get the more powerful lights all else being equal, do you not think so?

-Might wait for those 360's.  At very least they might bring the price of the 180's down.

Yes, indeed. Very valid concerns, especially as we already know from day dot that these Godox kits are going to be upgraded pretty soon (at the very least with an option to control HSS from the camera position, and possibly a new combined triggering unit; with possible changes to the main hardware to follow to incorporate TTL flash feet so at least the AF Assist Lamp works automatically). So with that in mind, yeah, resale value is of concern.

-Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.  I might just buy a single Godox and trigger to see how it performs...then my depreciation will just be the one...maybe a couple $100 bucks.

P.S.  It's really hard to reply to quoted bits and pieces of posts without accidentally trimming off sections.  I wish dpreview had a "quote" modifier.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow