Started May 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maggiemole
Regular MemberPosts: 445
Like?
Too shallow DoF problem
May 2, 2013

I've followed discussions on this topic with interest, and have still not resolved my problems. Using DOFMaster, I've come to the conclusion there IS no solution. I use a G3 camera, so that's a given in the equation. I'm trying to photograph tiny birds on the move on the ground (flat plane going away from me), so I'm handholding, and using a 150mm focal length lens. I get a reasonable (but probably not fast enough) shutter speed around f5.6 to f8: shut down more and the speed is too slow for these fast moving birds.

They are probably 10-15 feet away from me. I would like 3 feet of field depth. Can I ever get it? If I play with the inputs to DOFMaster, I seem to have to focus at 50 feet or so, which excludes my subjects. I'm just over 5ft tall: is the answer to use a ladder so the plane on which the birds are running about is more perpendicular to my viewfinder?

If anyone knows how to work the maths and physics in a practical solution, I'd be grateful to know.

Maggie

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
(unknown member)
???New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow