Worth purchasing a Noise Reduction addon for Aperture 3?

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,663Gear list
Like?
Re: Worth purchasing a Noise Reduction addon for Aperture 3?
In reply to BandofBrothers, May 2, 2013

I bought the Topaz plugins for Aperture here.

For sure the Aperture noise removal tool is a bit weak, and fiddly to get good results. However, for low levels of noise it can be used to good effect, and you can duplicate the adjustment brick to add levels of process.

For more severe noise you do need to go external, and most of the plugin type solutions will offer better results than the built in one.

You'll get plenty of recommendations, but you might be better to download a few demos, and give them a try out. They all offer slightly different functions, and perform slightly differently. Possibly even down to the camera brand/model you have - I found that the Topaz DeNoise plugin gave the best results on my Olympus Raw images.

Of course you may also want to take cost into consideration too. It can be easy to significantly increase the cost of your photo editing software when you start adding third party plugins. There are perhaps one or two cheaper solutions, such as the noise filter built into GIMP, for example. And of course there are often special offers - such as the mentioned Nik one, and Topaz frequently have promotions too.

Personally though, I find that many photos that actually require de-noising to the extent where I need a plugin to fix it, then it is never going to be a great photo - but that's mainly because I simply prefer my photos to look as natural as possible.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow