Are m4/3 cameras too expensive when you…

Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,148Gear list
Like?
Re: Really?
In reply to marike6, May 2, 2013

marike6 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Anders W wrote:

marike6 wrote:

So the OP has stated clearly that he's not an advanced photographer, and you are going to suggest MF lenses that don't use the Multi-Segment (or ESP) metering of m43 cameras?

What are you talking about? Of course ESP metering can be used regardless of which kind of lens you use.

That needs checking out, somewhere in the dim parts of my brain (there's many) I seem to remember that "foreign" lenses revert to centre weighted metering. Not an issue for me so never tested to see if true.

Just took the trouble of checking by putting the Samyang 7.5/3.5 FE on my E-M5. Since the camera is now aware that an unknown lens is mounted, without electrical connection to the body, it should prevent me from choosing ESP if that mode wouldn't work. But I can select it without trouble.

It selects ESP, but reverts to Center Weighted.

My E-M5 certainly does not revert to Center Weighted when I try it with the Samyang 7.5/3.5. Furthermore, I get different metering results for the same scene depending on whether I set it to use ESP or Center Weighted with the Samyang mounted.

There is no way without electrical contacts that a legacy lens can use ESP metering as no distance information is being transmitted to the body from the lens.

How do you know that it uses distance information? Do you have any Olympus documentation that actually says that ESP relies on such information? The use of distance data is just a possibility and apparently ESP is operative on the E-M5 even when no distance information is provided.

It's the same with flash metering.  Only TTL metering, not i-TTL with legacy glass mounted with for example, a dumb adapter.

It's just like when use an adapted Nikkor lens on the GH2.  It uses Center waited as with the "dumb" adapter there is no distance information being transmitted to the body so it is impossible for Multiple (multi-zone) metering to function properly.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow