Affordable Video Lenses

Started May 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
tgelston
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?
Re: any STM lens is better for video
In reply to 007peter, May 1, 2013

007peter wrote:

I appreciate your response and I like all the lenses below for your family/vacation/easy video shoots but I don't like any of them when I am considering someone who hopes to get into serious videography, and the reason I don't - they are all difficult to manual focus with.  The fly by wire focus of all three STM lenses is laggy at times and not something that I have been particularly happy with, it is certainly good enough for most use, and they are all a great value but a step below professional.

Thanks!

#1 is Canon 18-135mm STM.  This lens is completely SILENT, and AF as fast as my 70-200 F4 IS

#2 Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM.. cheap $200 new, $120 used. But use micro-stepper-motor and some minor noise is detectable when focusing

#3 Canon 18-55 STM Kit lens.  This just came out with the newest Canon T5i and SL1 DSLR.  Haven't try it out yet, but it should be close to 40mm /2.8 in video.

The new 18-55 STM is much sharper than the current 18-55 IS, according to some Korean review site.  I'm waiting to get my hand on one.

-- hide signature --
 tgelston's gear list:tgelston's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow