Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,178Gear list
Like?
Re: Grim future for the camera makers?
In reply to sshoihet, May 1, 2013

sshoihet wrote:

digitallollygag wrote:

For those of you who haven't read it yet, the posts about Apple and Canon from Thom Hogan's website are worth a read:

http://www.bythom.com/

Still, I wonder if some of the decline of "conventional" camera sales as opposed to smartphones is partly because of world economic conditions, or perhaps with people upgrading less what with the "diminishing returns" we're seeing in digital photography.

I see a tough road ahead for the established players (Canon, Nikon) and perhaps even with the m4/3 companies.  When I was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago I counted roughly 30 smartphones for every DSLR in use by the tourists.  Surely this hasn't escaped the notice of the execs at Canikon has it?

Many of the people that shoot with a camera phone now either didn't shoot photos at all before or were happy with a crappy film camera like 110 or kodak disc; they want convenience over image quality and just want something to remind them of the occasion and not a piece of art.  Camera phones are "good enough" for many people.

Right on the money.

For others, a DSLR or P&S purchased within the last few years still produces great quality and they have little reason to go out and purchase something new unless their current camera breaks.  In addition to my DSLRs, i have a ~2yr old Canon S95 which i will not replace any time soon because it produces great images and it's small enough to fit in my pocket.

I do see many people becoming more interested in photography BECAUSE of their camera phone and several of my friends have purchased new DSLR cameras in the last year.  Camera phones are great if you want to share images quickly on social media but they still don't come close to a good P&S for image quality; often that doesn't matter.  I think a lot of people don't even realize what a good image looks like, I guess ignorance is bliss

Good post.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow