Started May 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,166Gear list
Like?
CF/SD card write speeds and brands - questions
May 1, 2013

I'm going to buy a couple of high capacity CF cards for a dive trip coming up soon. Two 32 GB cards should cover all of my needs for the E-330. I'll be shooting the E-330 in an underwater housing. Opening the housing to change the card during the day on a wet boat would be a royal pain so I want a bigger card. The E-330 also has an xD card slot but those are limited to 2 GB and xD are significantly slower to read & write. I'm also shooting the E-5 topside and that gets the most use when I'm not diving.

How fast of a card do we need in an E-5? I need to consider the next upgrade from Olympus which will likely have a bigger image file and write faster in burst mode than the E-5. I don't need a fast write speed for most of my shooting and the underwater camera speed is also limited by the strobe recycle times of one second or more.

I've looked at SanDisk and Lexar brands. Currently Lexar has the best speed for the price on CF cards. Here's 3 examples:

1) The Lexar 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional 800x UDMA 7 with a max write speed of 45 MB/s and read speed of 120 MB/s costs $82, or $149 for a two-pak.

2) The SanDisk 32GB CompactFlash Memory Card Extreme 400x UDMA 5 with read speeds of 60 MB/s and unspecified write speed costs $80, with no 2-pak offer found.

3) SanDisk also offers an Extreme Pro, 32GB CF Card 600x UDMA 7 with 90 MB/s read/write speeds for $130.

All of these cards write faster than the E-330 and the E-5 can process/write, except for maybe in burst mode firing. I'm not sure about the needs for burst firing, and IIRC there's a limit to how many burst shots the E-5 will take in RAW.

The Lexar offers more speed for the price. Does anyone have any experience with the Lexar cards? I've always bought Sandisk cards but I need to look ahead towards an E-7 and faster write speeds.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow