Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,511Gear list
Like?
Re: for some people build in VF is not good
In reply to Hen3ry, May 1, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

The VF4 looks like a big fat thing that is even bigger than the VF2. Ridiculous.

It does look silly.  I suspect that size may have something to do with the 5-axis IBIS.  And, it is possible that Olympus will pass on the 5-axis IBIS to all its models.  That would really distinguish its cameras.

Sergey, the size of the VF4 obviously cannot have anything to do with the 5 axis IBIS. If it did, the IBIS would not work for most users who buy these cameras without an EVF because they don't wasn’t to use an EVF.

I was thinking that this EVF may contain something that can upgrade ordinary IBIS of a PEN to 5-axis IBIS. Just one thought trying to figure out why the EVF is so big.

You are mindlessly parroting the mindless statements made in defense of the far-too-big hump on the EM5 that it was essential for IBIS. It was not and is not. It is simply styling.

There is nothing to defend.  The whole idea of the OMD is to continue a tradition, that of the OM SLR, by delivering exceptional features and experience, and part of it is to have the retro OM look. I love the hump.

So now you start off on another path -- 5 axis IBIS [i]might[/i] be extended to all models. It should be -- the IBIS in the E-PL3/5 and E-PM1/2 is not only functionally useless most of the time, it actually damages pictures. I might switch on my E-PL3s IBIS once a month for a few shots then switch it off again. I was very disappointed by this -- I actually bought into Oly partly because of the promise of IBIS.

Have you used the IBIS in the E-M5?  I found it functionally really helpful most of the time, and gives me pictures that I would not otherwise have got.

In the meantime, Panasonic cameras are distinguished by in-camera CA correction, excellent OIS in most lenses (you never see anyone complaining about it; I found with the G1 it could be left switched on all the time because it helped when needed and did not damage images when it was not needed), and great ergonomics.

All true.  I love the Panasonic G? and GH? ergonomics and have repeatedly argued for a bigger OMD, complained about the tiny buttons and the lack of a proper built-in grip and a built-in flahs.

And the G and GH series have had built-in EVFs from the get go. Olympus [i]still[/i] offers only one camera with this facility.

True.

Oh -- and Panny was the first m43 with focus peaking -- and that in a middle range camera.

True, Panny was first with Focus Peaking by a week or two.

Olympus is playing catch up with the E-P5.

Olympus is playing catch up only in some things like Focus Peaking and ergonomics, but there are things Olympus has that Panasonic can never catch up to, like in IBIS.  If you do not think IBIS is so great, that's fine, I think the 5-axis one is and it can only improve as processor gets faster.  It is IMO the way to go and in time, it will be the only way when considering the efficenincy in terms of size, weight, and cost of lenses.  It can be perfected as technology advances, just like the sensor improvements which allow M43 to get better and better.

I think you are wrong about what I am doing.  I am not defending Olympus.  In fact, I was criticised for my scathing attacks on the Olympus 17mm f/1.8, the poor ergonomics of the E-M5, the poorly conceived design of the E-M5 optional grips, and numerous other annoyances, like the lack of sensor orientation in the E-PL3, the too-wide LCDs, the rip-off in lens hoods...  They are all on record.  I think it is helpful to point out, in a user forum, flaws and issues of equipment so as to help each other.

I think it is unhelpful to try to gloss over them and just praise one's favourite brand as numerous people come here to make decisions with their hard earned money, not just the regulars and not just those who have to seek comfort that they have made good choices in their own purchases and their own brands.  I am speaking out due to the unbelievable amount of self-justification posts which can mislead.  I think the great knowledge and experience of people here can be better utilitised in sharing and helping and in getting to the truth, not to evade it.

Cheers, geoff

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow