Started May 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,090Gear list
Like?
Re: Some shots with one of the new (cheap!) AF macro extension sets
In reply to Anders W, May 1, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Thanks for the report. I am considering these as well so I am happy to hear they might be a good deal, at least if you don't really need heavy-duty stuff in this area and I don't think I do.

A couple of questions:

What makes you think the mount parts are aluminum? Simply the low weight or?

The weight specification I found on ebay for the Fotga rings is 50 g. I guess that's for both rings combined, which would make the Fotga set significantly lighter than the Kenko set (120 g combined). But does the 50 g figure I found match the actual weight as you can (hopefully) measure it?

I am a bit surprised when you say the rings work particularly well with the 100-300. The standard rule is to use extension tubes for shorter FLs and close-up lenses for longer ones since these combinations are the most efficient. You need a very strong close-up lens to increase max magnification significantly for shorter FLs. Conversely, you need a lot of tubing to increase magnification significantly with a longer tele. The max magnification of the 100-300 without any add-ons is 0.21 at 300 mm. With both tubes mounted, max magnification increases to 0.33, so not a whole lot more. With the Canon 500D +2 diopter close-up lens I bought for use primarily with the 100-300, max magnification is 0.73.

They are indeed 52 grams for both pieces together.  The metal is a matte finish, and looks like machined aluminum in color and weight.

No, you don't get much extra magnification on the 100-300, but you do get some....and they work well on that lens.  I was having some fun with them today on it.  I'll play more when I get the chance using the 14-140mm in the 60-80mm range and see how well it does with that, too.  They do also seem to be a good combo with the 45mm, (at least once I get used to how close I have to be to use them effectively at that fl).

I think if I was going to be doing anything other than occasional macro work with these I would probably spring for the Kenkos.  But these are just for experimenting with, and I think for that and light, careful use, they are ok.  Time will tell   I'll update after a day out with them in a week or so when I visit TulipFest and give them a workout.

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow