Started Apr 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Re: for some people build in VF is not good
In reply to Sergey Borachev, May 1, 2013

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

The VF4 looks like a big fat thing that is even bigger than the VF2. Ridiculous.

It does look silly.  I suspect that size may have something to do with the 5-axis IBIS.  And, it is possible that Olympus will pass on the 5-axis IBIS to all its models.  That would really distinguish its cameras.

Sergey, the size of the VF4 obviously cannot have anything to do with the 5 axis IBIS. If it did, the IBIS would not work for most users who buy these cameras without an EVF because they don't wasn’t to use an EVF.

You are mindlessly parroting the mindless statements made in defense of the far-too-big hump on the EM5 that it was essential for IBIS. It was not and is not. It is simply styling.

So now you start off on another path -- 5 axis IBIS [i]might[/i] be extended to all models. It should be -- the IBIS in the E-PL3/5 and E-PM1/2 is not only functionally useless most of the time, it actually damages pictures. I might switch on my E-PL3s IBIS once a month for a few shots then switch it off again. I was very disappointed by this -- I actually bought into Oly partly because of the promise of IBIS.

In the meantime, Panasonic cameras are distinguished by in-camera CA correction, excellent OIS in most lenses (you never see anyone complaining about it; I found with the G1 it could be left switched on all the time because it helped when needed and did not damage images when it was not needed), and great ergonomics.

And the G and GH series have had built-in EVFs from the get go. Olympus [i]still[/i] offers only one camera with this facility.

Oh -- and Panny was the first m43 with focus peaking -- and that in a middle range camera.

Olympus is playing catch up with the E-P5.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow